St Andrew’s Church at Greensted is the oldest wooden church in the world.
It’s about 15 miles from my house, or 30 minutes drive down country lanes. The church is in a really peaceful setting away from the main town of Ongar. While I was there there was a small stream of people curious like me to see some really old bits of wood.
The wooden beams in the photo date from 1060 although the church itself has been there from around 700AD. The body of Saint Edmund, King of East Anglia, and England’s first patron saint martyred in 869AD (the Normans replaced him later with St. George) rested in the church in 1013 on its way to Bury St. Edmunds in Suffolk.
I took these photos on 21 January 2012, having found myself with nothing to do one Saturday afternoon. It’s also only about 15 miles from the city of London but you feel like you’re on another planet when you visit the place, it’s just so remote.
The church has a website here.
Saturday 21 January 2012, 385 views
Next post: Barcelona v Getafe
Previous post: My day out at Nene Park
- Catch – Bingo
- Is this a piece of your brain?
- Worker & Parasite – The Silent Majority
- Wunderhorse – Girl Behind The Glass
- dEUS – Must Have Been New
- Rogue Jones – Triongl Dyfed
- Parrot steals reporter’s earphone live on air
- Whatever happened to …?
- Vero – Heather
- Best of Twitter – September
- Thousand Yard Stare – Espirit du Corps
- Adwaith – Eto (live at Maes B)
- Jesus Jones: master criminals
- Snow Coats – Anyway
- Salad – Plank
- Sink – Drainpipe Jane
- Looks legit
- Iskaa and the Red Cars – Desire
- The cost of electric living
- Okay, this made me laugh
- Beabadoobee – Here’s Where The Story Ends
- The Tudors, Football Manager and 25% for moving a chair
- Three wishes
- Is this burning an eternal flame?
- New Gorillaz, New Beck
- On the scoresheet at last
- The Otford Solar System
- Steve Davis’s Spitting Image Puppet
- The Machiguenga Experiment
- The amazing paper drop …
- Barcelona v Getafe
- Greensted church
- My day out at Nene Park
- XFM’s “greatest” 100 songs ever
- The most played songs of the noughties …
- RIP Nick Sanderson
- Sultans of Ping FC – 2006 interview
- The Others – 2005 interview
- Frank and Walters – 1996 interview
- Abdoujaparov – 1999 interview
Leave a Reply