On the scoresheet at last
Today Alex is in the squad for Burnham Ramblers’ senior team for the third time. It’s a home game against May & Baker in the Thurlow Nunn League First Division South (Step 6 of non-league or the 10th tier of English football).
Last night I dreamt that Burnham won the match 4-0. Alex came on as a sub with 15 minutes to go and scored. And then with 5 minutes to go, I was called on as a sub too and I got the final goal.
I wasn’t actually aware that I was in the squad, even though I appeared to be wearing Burnham kit and was standing by the pitchside. I had to ask Alex what number I had on my back. (It was 19, and he was wearing no 13).
My goal was a classic too – I was standing about a foot away from the goal line, the ball came my way, I had a swipe at it and it hit my shin and went in. The rest of the team celebrated the goal but they didn’t come over to me because they weren’t really sure what I was doing on the pitch.
After the match I spent ages looking for a report of the game in the Daily Mail but couldn’t find it. I went back to the club and found the sheet that goes off to the FA which confirmed the two of us as goalscorers.
I have never been more disappointed to wake up from a dream as I did today.
Saturday 24 October 2020, 367 views
Next post: New Gorillaz, New Beck
Previous post: The Otford Solar System
- Is this a piece of your brain?
- Worker & Parasite – The Silent Majority
- Wunderhorse – Girl Behind The Glass
- dEUS – Must Have Been New
- Rogue Jones – Triongl Dyfed
- Parrot steals reporter’s earphone live on air
- Whatever happened to …?
- Vero – Heather
- Best of Twitter – September
- Thousand Yard Stare – Espirit du Corps
- Adwaith – Eto (live at Maes B)
- Jesus Jones: master criminals
- Snow Coats – Anyway
- Salad – Plank
- Sink – Drainpipe Jane
- Looks legit
- Iskaa and the Red Cars – Desire
- The cost of electric living
- Okay, this made me laugh
- Beabadoobee – Here’s Where The Story Ends
- Three wishes
- Is this burning an eternal flame?
- New Gorillaz, New Beck
- On the scoresheet at last
- The Otford Solar System
- Steve Davis’s Spitting Image Puppet
- The Machiguenga Experiment
- The amazing paper drop …
- Barcelona v Getafe
- Greensted church
- My day out at Nene Park
- XFM’s “greatest” 100 songs ever
- The most played songs of the noughties …
- RIP Nick Sanderson
- Sultans of Ping FC – 2006 interview
- The Others – 2005 interview
- Frank and Walters – 1996 interview
- Abdoujaparov – 1999 interview