Swearing in Welsh
I play a lot of Welsh language music because it’s great – and there’s a vibrant Welsh music scene at the moment (Adwaith, Sybs, Ynys etc).
I was vaguely aware of Ffa Coffi Pawb, a Welsh band active on the influential Anskt label between 1986 and 1992. The band included a very young Gruff Rhys and Dafydd Ieuan, who both went on to form Super Furry Animals, and Dewi Emlyn, who would later be part of Gorky’s Zygotic Mynci.
To mark the 30th anniversary of the band’s final show, they’ve just released Hei Vidal!, their 3rd album, as a clear 12” vinyl, red 12” vinyl (limited to 1000 copies) and CD, with a new video for Ffarout.
And I love the choice of band name, which translates into English as “everybody’s coffee beans”. A bit of an odd decision you’d think, until you discover that “ffa coffi pawb” and “ffoc off i pawb” sound the same in Welsh, and the latter means “fuck off, everyone”. Like I did today.
The band has an active website at ffacoffipawb.com.
Friday 9 June 2023, 9031 views
Next post: Awst – Afallon
Previous post: It’s the little details that count
- Awst – Afallon
- Swearing in Welsh
- It’s the little details that count
- The Popes Of Chillitown – Crashmat
- Blur – Modern Life Is Rubbish
- Ceefax – bringing rugger news to Orcney in 1972
- Frogpond – Talk To Me
- Catch – Bingo
- Is this a piece of your brain?
- Worker & Parasite – The Silent Majority
- Wunderhorse – Girl Behind The Glass
- dEUS – Must Have Been New
- Rogue Jones – Triongl Dyfed
- Parrot steals reporter’s earphone live on air
- Whatever happened to …?
- Vero – Heather
- Best of Twitter – September
- Thousand Yard Stare – Espirit du Corps
- Adwaith – Eto (live at Maes B)
- Jesus Jones: master criminals
- Snow Coats – Anyway
- Salad – Plank
- Sink – Drainpipe Jane
- Looks legit
- Iskaa and the Red Cars – Desire
- The cost of electric living
- Okay, this made me laugh
- Beabadoobee – Here’s Where The Story Ends
- The Tudors, Football Manager and 25% for moving a chair
- Three wishes
- Is this burning an eternal flame?
- New Gorillaz, New Beck
- On the scoresheet at last
- The Otford Solar System
- Steve Davis’s Spitting Image Puppet
- The Machiguenga Experiment
- The amazing paper drop …
- Barcelona v Getafe
- Greensted church
- My day out at Nene Park
- XFM’s “greatest” 100 songs ever
- The most played songs of the noughties …
- RIP Nick Sanderson
- Sultans of Ping FC – 2006 interview
- The Others – 2005 interview
- Frank and Walters – 1996 interview
- Abdoujaparov – 1999 interview