Pop Will Eat Itself, Mr B The Gentleman Rhymer – Assembly Hall, Islington
My first gig since the start of the pandemic, and I only had to wait nine months for it!
Pop Will Eat Itself managed to do the socially-distanced gig thing by arranging the hall in “pods”, which in reality were two chairs and a table. As much as I like standing around and dad dancing at gigs, seats are always welcome.
But I did something stupid too. Tickets went on sale at the always-awkward-to-use dice.fm app and they were in short supply. I got my tickets as soon as they went on sale, then just before I checked out I wasn’t sure if I’d ordered the right thing, so I went back in app, re-read everything, re-ordered the tickets … and they were sold out! I think only about 100 went on sale for a venue that would otherwise hold 1500.
This really annoyed me – but I joined the “waiting list” not expecting to hear any more and then forgot all about it until about two weeks before the show, when I was offered waiting list tickets. And lo and behold – front row tickets as well! So everything worked out in the end.
The whole arrangement was very well done, with drinks being ordered on an app, and coming quickly. I probably ordered drinks a few too many times as a result. Still it’s been a hard year, we have to enjoy ourselves …
I have to admit I wasn’t quite sure about Mr B, it did seem a bit too much like a joke I wasn’t in on, and yes that’s probably overanalysing too. (I enjoyed him more when I caught him in Collapsed Lung in 2021).
PWEI were, as ever, excellent and it was great to be out and about seeing live music again.
Another “play an album in full” set, once again featuring 1989’s This Is The Day … as we’d seen a year ago at the Craufurd Arms. But it’s such a good album it’s really no problem hearing it all again! The second set featured a couple of new songs too, which both bode really well for the future.
Someone else took these next three. I think I can see us in the last pic …
Set 1: This Is The Day…This Is The Hour…This Is This!
- PWEI Is a Four Letter Word
- Preaching to the Perverted
- Wise Up! Sucker
- Sixteen Different Flavours of Hell
- Inject Me
- Can U Dig It?
- The Fuses Have Been Lit
- Poison to the Mind
- Def Con One
- Radio P.W.E.I.
- Shortwave Transmission on ‘Up to the Minuteman Nine’
- Satellite Ecstatica
- Not Now James, We’re Busy…
- Wake Up! Time to Die…
- Dance of the Mad Bastards
- Get the Girl! Kill the Baddies!
- Everything’s Cool
- Chihuahua (new song)
- They Can’t Take (What You Won’t Let ‘Em Have)
- Ich bin ein Ausländer
- The Poppies Strike Back (new song)
- Their Law
Saturday 12 December 2020, 127 views
Next post: Abdoujaparov, Big Boy Tomato – The Holroyd Arms, Guildford
Previous post: Smokin’ Donuts – The Chequers, Billericay
- Hybrid Kid – Shortts Bar, Brighton
- Speakeasy Vol 1 – Buckinghamshire New University, High Wycombe
- S*M*A*S*H, The Astronauts – Club 85, Hitchin
- Thousand Yard Stare, The Shop Window – Academy 2, Islington
- Bugeye – The Horn at the Half Moon, Bishop’s Stortford
- Ned’s Atomic Dustbin – Powerhaus, Camden
- Sea Power – Esquires, Bedford
- Salad, Piney Gir – The Lexington, Islington
- Fightmilk, The Spaces – Oast Community Centre, Rainham
- Fightmilk, Gold Baby, Gutts – The Victoria, Dalston
- Genesis – Liverpool Arena
- Pop Will Eat Itself, Utah Saints, Collapsed Lung – Assembly Hall, Islington
- Salad, Maschina, Burnout, Stick In The Wheel – High Tide Festival, Twickenham
- Hybrid Kid, White Dog, Lemur Lemur – Prince Albert, Brighton
- Futureheads, Mt Misery – Esquires, Bedford
- Sea Power – Craufurd Arms, Milton Keynes
- The Primitives, Jetstream Pony – The Lexington, Islington
- Becontree 100: Nova Twins – Parsloes Park, Dagenham
- Abdoujaparov, Big Boy Tomato – The Holroyd Arms, Guildford
- Pop Will Eat Itself, Mr B The Gentleman Rhymer – Assembly Hall, Islington
- Smokin’ Donuts – The Chequers, Billericay
- Republica, All Tomorrow’s Stories, Saint Nevis – The Boston Arms, Tufnell Park
- Dream Wife – Audio, Peckham
- Xmas Freak Show – The Railway Hotel, Southend-on-Sea
- Pop Will Eat Itself, Jeana – Craufurd Arms, Milton Keynes
- Steve Hackett – The Cliffs Pavilion, Westcliff-on-Sea
- Darling Buds, Helen Love – The Lexington, Islington
- Salad, Cozy Slippers, Gold Baby, Macadamia Sluts – The Finsbury, Finsbury Park
- Hurtling, Pink Haze, Petrol Boys – The Horn at the Half Moon, Bishop’s Stortford
- Divine Comedy – Empire, Shepherd’s Bush
- Jim Bob, S*M*A*S*H, Midway Still – Esquires, Bedford