Xmas Freak Show – The Railway Hotel, Southend-on-Sea
Bands seen: Penny Antics, Les Carter, Tuppeny Bunters, Get, High/Low, Cumposers
Southend has a habit of putting on some great gigs with local bands just before Christmas and this one was no exception.
Three rooms in the pub given over to live music – we were spoiled for choice! Cumposers were a new one on me – a Swedish duo now based locally. It was good to see Essex punk stalwarts Penny Antics and The Get after receiving so many of their songs for airplay over the years!
Tuppeny Bunters were fantastic – first time I caught their organ-heavy psychedelia live, and hopefully not the last time.
And of course it’s always good to see Les Carter and High/Low live too.
There was probably a reason why the event was called Xmas Freak Show, but I never worked it out. Other than maybe that it was December 13.
Friday 13 December 2019, 158 views
Next post: Dream Wife – Audio, Peckham
Previous post: Pop Will Eat Itself, Jeana – Craufurd Arms, Milton Keynes
- Hybrid Kid – Shortts Bar, Brighton
- Speakeasy Vol 1 – Buckinghamshire New University, High Wycombe
- S*M*A*S*H, The Astronauts – Club 85, Hitchin
- Thousand Yard Stare, The Shop Window – Academy 2, Islington
- Bugeye – The Horn at the Half Moon, Bishop’s Stortford
- Ned’s Atomic Dustbin – Powerhaus, Camden
- Sea Power – Esquires, Bedford
- Salad, Piney Gir – The Lexington, Islington
- Fightmilk, The Spaces – Oast Community Centre, Rainham
- Fightmilk, Gold Baby, Gutts – The Victoria, Dalston
- Genesis – Liverpool Arena
- Pop Will Eat Itself, Utah Saints, Collapsed Lung – Assembly Hall, Islington
- Salad, Maschina, Burnout, Stick In The Wheel – High Tide Festival, Twickenham
- Hybrid Kid, White Dog, Lemur Lemur – Prince Albert, Brighton
- Futureheads, Mt Misery – Esquires, Bedford
- Sea Power – Craufurd Arms, Milton Keynes
- The Primitives, Jetstream Pony – The Lexington, Islington
- Becontree 100: Nova Twins – Parsloes Park, Dagenham
- Abdoujaparov, Big Boy Tomato – The Holroyd Arms, Guildford
- Pop Will Eat Itself, Mr B The Gentleman Rhymer – Assembly Hall, Islington
- Smokin’ Donuts – The Chequers, Billericay
- Republica, All Tomorrow’s Stories, Saint Nevis – The Boston Arms, Tufnell Park
- Dream Wife – Audio, Peckham
- Xmas Freak Show – The Railway Hotel, Southend-on-Sea
- Pop Will Eat Itself, Jeana – Craufurd Arms, Milton Keynes
- Steve Hackett – The Cliffs Pavilion, Westcliff-on-Sea
- Darling Buds, Helen Love – The Lexington, Islington
- Salad, Cozy Slippers, Gold Baby, Macadamia Sluts – The Finsbury, Finsbury Park
- Hurtling, Pink Haze, Petrol Boys – The Horn at the Half Moon, Bishop’s Stortford
- Divine Comedy – Empire, Shepherd’s Bush
- Jim Bob, S*M*A*S*H, Midway Still – Esquires, Bedford